This is a forum page. Please remember to sign your posts using ~~~~. Be civil and polite to other users!
Well, considering we didn't have a special theme for Halloween, and we are probably not going to have one for Thanksgiving, let's think about Christmas, erm, Z-Mas.
A lot of websites like to redesign their website to fit a certain holiday at certain times of the year. Christmas and Halloween are big ones. April Fools Day is another popular choice. Since this wiki is small, I can get why we never really got into this tradition, but now that we've grown (in the number of articles, though it seems like activity has died down quite a bit since the heat of TLS:DZ has faded), let's try something fun... for once.
Now, I can probably poke SmilingWolf (since he created the TLS:UC background when the wiki was young, and he created the background we have today) and ask him if he can make one, but, in case any of you have good photo-editing skills or if you want to try something new, now's your time!
So to recap, we will need a Z-Mas-themed version of:
- File:Wiki-wordmark.png (displays on the Oasis skin, which is the default skin for Wikia)
- File:Wiki.png (displays on the Monobook skin)
- File:Wiki-background (is the wiki's background image)
Things to keep in mind (just so people will always be reminded that we ARE a wiki based on a game series involving zombies!):
- Try to incorporate elements of zombies and Christmas together. A zombie wearing a Santa Claus hat might work.
- Try to incorporate elements of The Last Stand series into the image. Be creative!
- For the wiki-background, try to keep it as dark as possible, so that our red-colored templates, links, and white text are not affected and don't require a CSS change.
- Also for the background, make sure your image is at a high resolution. The resolution for our current background is 1,980 × 1,103 pixels. If you can keep it roughly at that resolution. You can see Help:Background for assistance.
All of the pages above are sysop-protected to protect against abuse, so you will need to upload an entirely new image if you want to enter your submission. Upload your images to Special:Upload and add it to this thread.
Please note: If we can't get a theme decided on by December 24, we'll be scrapping this idea. Remember, we don't actually need to do this, it's just to stop this wiki from being too boring at times.
I know these are pretty generic for Christmas-themed logos, but should do the job until someone else comes up with something more original :) Also, I noticed the current monobook logo is too big and thus cropped so I modified it to fit the 155px wide space on Monobook, here's the file. — Sovq 09:35, November 17, 2014 (UTC)
- Well... I guess that's something (though not ideal, but we still need a background). I've added it to my test wiki for a preview. --I am k6ka Talk to me! See what I have done 12:52, November 17, 2014 (UTC)
- G'day. I am WikiBuilder1147, otherwise known as TheTimMan. On K6ka's request I have provided another proposal for this (marvelous, I must say) wiki's Christmas theme. Unfortunately, I have not yet completed a monobook version of the wordmark. Expect an update soon. ―The Tim Man (Infinite Histories • Galactic Crucibles • The Sims Wiki • Hallows Maleficent • Why I'm here in the first place) 09:13, November 22, 2014 (UTC)
- Okay... so I didn't realize the images were of the wrong size... that crappy tool made them a bit too small. So I just stuck with Paint.NET and used Noise to generate "fake snow". --I am k6ka Talk to me! See what I have done 01:23, December 17, 2014 (UTC)
Okay, time to go for a fresh start. Went back to the drawing board and came up with the following backgrounds:
The first one is just our current background, but with snowflakes added. I guess I couldn't make it too complex, considering I lack Photoshop and my best image editing program was Paint.NET, and most of the tutorials I found all required Photoshop. So I just got the snowflakes off the Internet and added them in.
The second one is the same thing, but the logo and the entire image has a slight blue hue to it, to give it that "Cold, chilly winter" feeling. --I am k6ka Talk to me! See what I have done 00:32, December 18, 2014 (UTC)
I've tested the backgrounds on my test wiki, along with the new logo that WikiBuilder1147 provided. Like it or not?
WikiBuilder1147 is away on vacation in Japan, so I've resized his logo in the meantime.
Might not look that good, but it will do for now, at least. --I am k6ka Talk to me! See what I have done 00:57, December 18, 2014 (UTC)
- ETA: I've figured it would be better to use Sovq's monobook logo for the Monobook logo instead, even though it's completely different, but at least doesn't look like it's gone through a paper shredder and badly reassembled. --I am k6ka Talk to me! See what I have done 01:07, December 18, 2014 (UTC)